Monday, January 9

Mission Possible

I found a paperback cookbook when I was assisting in the moving of my wife’s father from one home to another. The book, Crockery Cookery, was from the mid seventies and the photos showed it. The author, Mable Hoffman, appears to be the Slow-cooker Know-it-all of that era. The book has some very good recipes. I have done a few over the years and only one was a disappointment.

I found this mission chicken recipe in Mabel’s book and it seemed like a great variation on chicken. I rarely use cloves and the citris and fruit adds a nice sweetining element that I enjoy. Try Mission Chicken with brown rice and steamed green beans and carrots.


Mission Chicken

2-2.5# quartered, broiler-fryers
¼ cup butter (I reduced this to a few tablespoons)
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp. Cloves
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Seasoned salt
1 6 ounce can of fzn. Orange Juice concentrate, thawed
½ cup water
2 or 3 drops hot sauce
1 cup seedless grapes, halved
½ cup slivered almonds

In a large skillet, brown the chicken with the butter. Combine the cinnamon, cloves, salt, seasoned salt, orange juice concentrate, water and hot pepper sauce. Pour this over the chicken in the crock. Cover and cook, on low, for 4 to 5 hours. Stir in the grapes. Place chicken on a serving dish, cover with almonds. You can pass the sauce or thicken it with flour and water if you like a thicker sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home