Tuesday, November 8

Gobble It Up!!!

OK. I am strange. It is simply undeniable. There is no shame in that; we all are blessed with quirky behaviors that are “out of the mainstream”. Those are the elements that make each of us unique. I’ll celebrate my different-ness; you should too.

So, here is the strange bit that inspired my blog-style banter in that last paragraph. On Sunday, the 6th of November, I roasted a turkey breast. Some folks I shared that information with thought me to be batty. Their voices said, Oh?”, their faces said, “Turkey, so close to Thanksgiving?!”

They think me strange. I counter with the facts: people will eat ground beef a few times a week, why is turkey, in November, on a Sunday not a Thursday so peculiar?

It is not. But, like any good propagandist, I am withholding some data. Here is the strange part. I roasted a turkey breast on a Sunday so I could have turkey leftovers for a delightful turkey sandwich recipe that I tested tonight. No arguments from the Man in the Kitchen on that one—I am just a loon.

But, you gotta try this recipe. It’s simple and tasty and presents at the table like it takes lots more work than it requires. (I must give credit, it’s from Cooking Light, the November 2005 edition, page 226.)

Cranberry Shallot Chutney
¼ cup cranberry sauce
1 TBSP minced shallots
1 TBSP cider vinegar
1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
Combine ingredients in a small bowl.

Hot Turkey Sandwiches

8 sliced of French Bread (1 oz. each)
1 TBSP light mayonnaise
¼ cup turkey gravy
4 reduced sodium bacon slices, cooked and cut in half
12 oz. sliced, cooked turkey breast
2 slices Provolone cheese, halved
1 cup arugula
1 TBSP Cranberry Shallot Chutney

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place bread sliced on baking sheet. Spread light mayonnaise evenly on 4 slices. Spread turkey gravy on the other 4 slices. Top mayo-ed bread slices with bacon, turkey and provolone. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until cheese in melted.
Top the melted cheese with arugula. Drizzle the chutney on each sandwich and top with the gravy-ed slice and press together.

A serving is one sandwich, so the recipe yields four servings.

Nutritional data for one serving: 402 cal., 11 g fat, 38.2 g protein.

I was not able to get arugula at my local supermarket (the frustration of living so far from anywhere!!), so I used romaine lettuce. That substitution will certainly change the flavor, but the arugula, I bet, is a great dimension adder.

Strange, but still cookin’
MITK

2 Comments:

Blogger seaslover said...

This sounds suspiciously like "THE SANDWICH" from the Friends episode - but it also sounds yummy! j

11/17/2005 5:20 PM  
Blogger maninthekitchen said...

I recall an episode where Ross had a sandwich pilfered and he made a huge deal of it. I do not recall the details of that sandwich. Hmmmm, I'll have to shake my brain to recall a few details. Thanks for comment, have fun in the kitchen!!

11/18/2005 9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home