Saturday, June 18

Speedy Breakfast

I read an article in a Men’s Health magazine that praised oatmeal. The article mentioned that the humble oat was a great source of soluble fiber. Soluble fiber, studies show, helps keep the bad cholesterol at bay.

Breakfast is important to me. I have always respected the need to start the day off with a meal instead of a little juice and a danish. I can indulge that my choice is superior because the experts agree: good breakfasts are important to a healthy lifestyle.

The choices I was making for my weekday breakfasts were poor. I was eating Breakfast Pockets. A product of Nestle Foods that are not terrible, but are not the best choice. They are convenient, that was the hook for me. My other selection was a breakfast burrito from a local convenience store (it was a terrible, tasty indulgence—pure evil, I don’t even want to know what the $1.89 foil wrapper had in it!!!).

The article in MH specified a steel cut oatmeal from Ireland (McCann’s Irish Oats). I have had this brand before and it is quite good. However, it simmers for 30 minutes. So, I went for the rolled and toasted, faster cooking, Quaker Instant Oats.

Weekday mornings, I am eating a large bowl of oatmeal with a few teaspoons of raspberry jam or grape jelly stirred in. It is a three-minute prep that can be easily executed while half-asleep and a nice warm meal to start the day. You budget-minded readers would see that it is pretty cheap eats too!

I suppose one could cook the steel-cut oats and reserve them for daily consumption (MH suggests this), but I have not discovered the need for that much work.

Have a great breakfast!!!!
MITK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home