Tuesday, October 25

Egg-citing (terrible, huh?!)

I saw a tip the other day that worked when I tried it. Eggs occasionally plague me. No, I am not tormented by ostrich ovum steamrollering me in dreams and I do not fear that a tyrannosaurus laid a white globe on my garaged automobile. I boil eggs with the fear that the little devils (or, soon to be deviled!) fellows will crack and weep the white in the water and look pretty much pathetic and unworthy of use.

A Man in the Kitchen cannot live in fear of boiling eggs. That’s as bad as a claustrophobic Houdini!!

There are a few tips out there. If you know some, write them to me.

The one I found that worked was so simple: Put a good glug vinegar in the water before boiling the egg. Apparently, the acetic acid softens the eggshell. The more pliable shell resists cracking.

Worked for me.

Now, why does the eggshell work to settle the grounds in camp coffee and the goo in broth?
The odd musings of this Man in the Kitchen.

1 Comments:

Blogger maninthekitchen said...

I try that Barbara. Thanks for the comment!

MITK

11/13/2005 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home